Weasley Clock Ticks Closer to Becoming Reality

Products
Posted by: Edward
May 09, 2009, 09:03 PM

Those who desire a Muggle version of the Weasley family clock may not have much longer to wait for this type of technology to be available in their homes.  The Times is reporting this evening that researchers at Microsoft have completed user trials for their Whereabouts Clock.  As TLC reported back in 2007, the company had been testing this device which 'monitor[s] the movements of family members through their mobile phones.'  According to the article, the device 'works by identifying which cell of a mobile phone network a family member is in at any given time. When users set up the Whereabouts Clock they have to give each cell a name, such as “work” or “school”, by downloading software onto their phone.'  With this information, the clock would be able to assign a location to each person based on when they enter that cell.  Researcher Richard Harper spoke of the aims of this device by saying:

“We want it to give enough information to be comforting without giving so much that people feel they are being watched."
The Times goes on to note that Microsoft is looking at how to market the product, but makes no mention of its release.  Janice Day, one of those who tested the clock, said that she "didn’t like initially everyone knowing where I was - and I thought, Janice, you hypocrite. But by the end I was actually quite happy about it."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Products News

Copy_of_avatar_thumb

Cool, a Weasley clock for us Muggles! Dunno if I want my mom to have one, though. lol!

Posted by Professor Cassandra *~WBM~* on May 09, 2009, 09:07 PM report to moderator
Bearcry_thumb

haha awesome and creepy at the same time. not sure what to make of this one – privacy protection is always a worry

Posted by A Tackier Pink on May 09, 2009, 09:12 PM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

That would be sooooo cool! Though I worry enough about my kids as it is… don’t know if I need more reason!!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on May 09, 2009, 09:12 PM report to moderator

Interesting, but it looks a bit ugly at the moment. Hopefully they can make it a little more attractive before they finish it up. But I guess I’m looking for the homey charm of the Weasley clock, and that’s probably too much to hope for.

Posted by face.in.book on May 09, 2009, 09:14 PM report to moderator
Llamaflyiong_thumb

That is amazing, we have certainly come so very far in the last few years as far as technology is concerned. I’m sur ethat this type of technology will be abused by someone somewhere but that doesn’t make it any less of an impressive thing. I know that I would love to have one…although I don’t have kids…I could maybe just take it everywhere with me so that I could see where I was. That would be pretty cool….

Posted by lurking_llama on May 09, 2009, 09:16 PM report to moderator
N1489362413_9748_thumb

I’m not really sure this the best of ideas. One time will tell us if people accept it.

Posted by Daniela [WBM] on May 09, 2009, 09:23 PM report to moderator
A153_thumb

Interesting…

Yeah, that’s all I’m going to say.

Posted by NightSky on May 09, 2009, 09:30 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Sounds fun but I think it should be in another company’s hands if you want it to have a creative touch ;)

Posted by Kamidee {ROAR!} [TZS] on May 09, 2009, 09:31 PM report to moderator
216cougar2_thumb

I dont know if i like this, from what it sounds like other people could tell where you are also. Privacy would be an issue here. Has anyone ever said “I would like that”, not me or anyone i know,

Posted by Arthur22 on May 09, 2009, 09:31 PM report to moderator
Quidditch_2012_thumb

While I love the idea of the Weasley’s clock in my house, I think this clock sounds a bit too invasive lol. It’s neat that we’ve come that far in technology though.

Posted by muzic823{ROAR} on May 09, 2009, 09:32 PM report to moderator
Lunanargles_thumb

haha that would be soo cool!!!

Posted by calliet2b4g on May 09, 2009, 09:38 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

I think that it’s great for parents to keep an eye on their kids but as an adult, I don’t need anyone monitoring my movements. Maybe they should be marketing it to parents only. That seems like their best move. I know my kids would HATE it! :)

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on May 09, 2009, 09:38 PM report to moderator

Yes! Now all I need is for my red headed fiance to agree to seven kids and I have achieved my Weasley dreams.

Posted by jenbabe705 on May 09, 2009, 09:42 PM report to moderator

Posted by jenbabe705 on May 09, 2009, 09:43 PM report to moderator

Posted by jenbabe705 on May 09, 2009, 09:43 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Oh, you don't know Potter as I do, Bellatrix," said Malfoy softly. "He has a great weakness for heroics; the Dark Lord understands this about him. [i]Now give me the prophecy, Potter."