Followup on Jamie Waylett Case: Sentenced to Community Service (Updated)

Legal
Posted by: sue
July 21, 2009, 07:43 AM

A followup today regarding the legal case involving actor Jamie Waylett (Crabbe), who earlier this month plead guilty to growing cannabis plants at a residence in London, England. Today, the AP reports that Jamie was sentenced to to 120 hours of community service. The report continues:  Judge Timothy Workman said Tuesday that he accepted that the cultivation was on a small scale and for Waylett's own use. He said the actor had been, "until now, a man of good character."
UPDATE: The BBC has more now on the matter, including a message from Jamie: "Leaving the court, Waylett said: "I extend my sincere apologies to the producers, cast and crew and all at Warners and most especially to all Harry Potter fans."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Legal News

Voorpotter_thumb

I hope he will still be able to supply his fellow cast members!

Posted by Joost on July 21, 2009, 09:33 AM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

First, Happy Birthday.. Second it’s a shame to see him go down the wrong path.. as so many of them do now days.. I hope he learns from this experience and doesn’t have a drug filled future

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on July 21, 2009, 09:34 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I am glad that he got community service and not imprisonment but having broken the law he is not actually going to be very available for filming while doing that community service, they have a schedule to keep to and would not have held up any part of it to wait for the outcome of all this, so I think you may find that he will not be back for the final films.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on July 21, 2009, 09:35 AM report to moderator
Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

He is lucky.I hope he learns from his mistakes.

Posted by minishiva on July 21, 2009, 09:40 AM report to moderator
013_thumb

hmmmmmm…………there wasn’t a witch or wizard who went bad that wasn’t in slytherin……………….

Posted by is.this.real? on July 21, 2009, 09:42 AM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

Wow he got off pretty lucky with just 120 hours. Some schools in higher education will require you do double that, and that’s not even a punishment! lol hope he can shoot the DH scenes

Posted by PaintTheSky on July 21, 2009, 09:50 AM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

@moglet, if he’s lucky he can get all of it done relatively quickly. If he does 40 hrs/wk that’s just 3 weeks, even 20 hrs. is just 6.

Posted by PaintTheSky on July 21, 2009, 09:52 AM report to moderator
Lawgcav_thumb

I wonder how many people slamming him for Marijuana cultivation actually looked into the supposed “negative” effects of it. Marijuana causes zero deaths per year, whereas alcohol claims over 175,000 lives per year and Tobacco over 500,000. Educate yourselves, people.
As for Jamie Waylett, I’m glad he wasn’t given prison time. I can’t help but find the delicious irony in the justice system – “drugs will ruin your life, so to help you we’ll ruin your life by putting you into prison”. I’m sure he’ll get his community service over and done with before his big scene in Deathly Hallows starts filming.

Posted by Atticus on July 21, 2009, 09:55 AM report to moderator
Hp6_thumb

happy birthday jamie hope you re back for deathly hallows:D

Posted by Martinisthechosenone on July 21, 2009, 10:00 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

I really hope that Jamie can step back and move on from here. He’s a great guy & it would be too bad to throw it all away.
In response to the comments suggesting some of us should educate ourselfs, the discussion isnt about the good or bad effects of drugs. The fact is, it’s against the law.
Personally, I dont like drugs of any kind (however uncool that may make me) so, it always gets to me when I hear of someone getting busted for it.
It’s good to see Jamie did say something to his fans. He has so much love & respect from his fans, and he’s a movie star in the Potterverse, it would be too bad to throw it all away. I hope he can move on from this.

Posted by Moose_Starr on July 21, 2009, 10:10 AM report to moderator
Luna_avatar_100x100_thumb

Happy Birthday, Jamie! Try playing video games instead to relax. It’s much better for you. Just as long as you stay away from World of Warcraft — trust me on that one!

Posted by ZoeyLuna on July 21, 2009, 10:27 AM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

Well that’s cool. At least he’ll be around for the movies and he’s sorry for what he did/getting caught.

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on July 21, 2009, 10:34 AM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

@is.this.real? that’s best line i’ve heard all day! hahaha

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on July 21, 2009, 10:35 AM report to moderator
Leakypic_thumb

Will he be in DH then?

Posted by DylanAqua on July 21, 2009, 10:40 AM report to moderator
Stag_1__thumb

The law is the law and thas it. He should say he is sorry to all the fans of HP. Somtimes in life you need to make the right choices and he made a wrong one. He will do his sentence and it will be over.

Posted by doublecore on July 21, 2009, 10:42 AM report to moderator

"He's dot alone!" shouted a voice from above them. "He's still god be!"[br]Harry's heart sank. Neville was scrambling down the stone benches toward them, Hermione's wand held fast in his trembling hand.