Harry Potter Series Tops ALA List of the Decade's Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books

Books
Posted by: Rosi
April 19, 2010, 05:47 AM

The American Library Association have issued a press release listing the 10 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 2009 and announcing an updated list of the top 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of the Decade (2000-2009). The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling have come at the top of the Most Frequently Challenged Books of the Decade list, followed by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor's Alice series and Robert Cormier's The Chocolate War. The press release comments that the Harry Potter series is "frequently challenged for various issues including occult/Satanism and anti-family themes." You can find the full list of the Most Frequently Challenged Books of the Decade on the ALA website at this link.

Thanks to MuggleNet for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Ron-hermione-romione-3219846-1024-821_thumb

You know I think this is ridiculous and people are too sensitive. Okay, so someone doesn’t like the Harry Potter books for the anti-family themes. So don’t let your family/kids read the books, but why should my kids be punished and not be able to check out the books from the library because someone else is offended by the books? But yet my children are being punished because someone else doesn’t want to be offended. Where is the fairness in that?

People need to grow up and get a life! Seriously people.

Posted by Ron&Hermione-4-ever [ROAR] on April 19, 2010, 05:58 AM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

I think this is Awesome! haha enough people care enough about the books to go through the trouble of wanting to ban them :p they even beat out Dan Brown

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on April 19, 2010, 06:17 AM report to moderator
Ikawalo_thumb

oh.,.this is good harry potter came at the top of the Most Frequently Challenged Books of the Decade list..,.its.,.,awesome.,but at the same time its ridiculous..The press release comments that the Harry Potter series is “frequently challenged for various issues including occult/Satanism and anti-family themes.” …this is not true!!!!!

Posted by tjerriam on April 19, 2010, 07:03 AM report to moderator

Anti-family themes? Well yeah, most serial killers are anti-family… But what do they think the Weasleys are, a religious cult???

I find it all very funny. I would like to say “Only in America” as only the craziest uproars happen there, but unfortunately (or fortunately?) HP is too popular to cause a stir just in America.

Posted by WickedLoz on April 19, 2010, 07:12 AM report to moderator
Potter07_thumb

Ah, the result of people’s lack of imagination. It’s like they think we’re stupid enough to actually believe that magic is real. Harry Potter is fiction, though apparently they don’t see that. If they would just open their minds a bit more and look deeper into the books, beyond all the spells and enchantments, they would actually see that there are morals to this series, morals that, I believe, are being taught in the Bible.

Other than that, am I the only one who thinks this is hilarious?

Posted by accioangela on April 19, 2010, 07:15 AM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

I mean it’s fanulous that we’ve topped another list but this time its a stupid list!! Why are people so senstitive!?!?!! If people don’t like the books, the they don’t haft to read them or let their kids read them! It’s a book!!! Why can’t they see that the books is about love and loyalty and bravery and it’s amazing and beautiful and teachs readers about friendship! I totally think this is hilarious but at the same time it makes me really angry, but if people spend they’re time trieing to ban a book that millions of people love then they need some help.Being against HP is one thing (as stupid thing) but it’s fine if someone doesn’t like HP (even though I can’t understadn it) but to try and ban that book because of it’s “anti-family” themes and “Satanism” is soooooooooo stupid!!! No is stupid enough to read the books and be like “oh joy I cna do magic now” of course we’d all like to but we know it’s nto real!! Ok well my rant is over, and whatever I left out all you guys understand =)

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on April 19, 2010, 07:29 AM report to moderator

What I really don’t understand is, how on earth have people figured out that the Potter novels are anti-family?? Harry “most desperate desire” is to have a family, his mother’s sacrifice keeps him alive, substitute father and mother figures help him all along (the Weasleys, Dumbledore, Sirius, Lupin), he stresses explicitly that “parents shouldn’t leave their kids” when Lupin considers abandoning his pregant wife a.s.o.

Please, I really would like to know that: What in Potter is believed to be anti-family? I just don’t get it …

Posted by Zhiyal on April 19, 2010, 08:43 AM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Better to top the list than not be on the list at all in my opinion. I’m proud Harry Potter’s in there who wants Beatrix Bloxam’s ‘Toadstool Tales’ when you can have ‘The Tales of Beedle the Bard.’ Love it!

Posted by KiwiMcI on April 19, 2010, 08:45 AM report to moderator

I always laugh when I see these types of things. I personally feel the books teach good vs evil. And that even flawed people are good people! Perhaps these people should actually try reading the books!

Posted by Dawna on April 19, 2010, 08:53 AM report to moderator

One sure way to have more people read the series is to ban or challenge a book in a library. I have a friend that says the series promotes “Satanism”; I challenged him to actually read the books and he refused. When I asked him how he could judge the series about good versus evil, the trials of a young man trying to do the right thing and most important love, he had no response. Now I just laugh at people who do not like HP.

Posted by hrhgnl on April 19, 2010, 08:53 AM report to moderator

Witchcraft is anti-family. Harry Potter is about witchcraft. Therefore, Harry Potter is anti-family. (Their logic).

Posted by entoptic on April 19, 2010, 09:18 AM report to moderator

I wrote an english paper last semester about why Harry Potter is not against the Catholic Church (where a lot of anti-potter comes from) and it was one of the best papers I have written! I am so proud of that paper because I am so passionate about the lessons within Harry Potter it hurts to hear people refusing to read it. It is the greatest love story!

Posted by jreineke3 on April 19, 2010, 09:24 AM report to moderator
Shoes_thumb

Judging by the fact that it says anti-family it seems clear to me that many of the people who campaign to have the books banned haven’t actually read them. If they had they would see that the books basically revolve around the theme of family. They just see that the books are about magic and make up their opinion based on that. Anyone who wants to ban the books should be made to read them first. How can you campaign to ban a book without having read it?

Posted by Love is the greatest magic on April 19, 2010, 09:27 AM report to moderator

I guess that if one believes that witchcraft equals anti-family (although I am not quite sure that I understand how this connection is being made) you arrive at a conclusion that Potter is anti-family, even though the plot, the central motif and the characterizations are all pro-family ….

Ethical-wise, I think the novels combine Christian and atheist thinking of Humanism and the Enlightenment. For example, the idea that we have the ability to make a choice and thus influence who and what we become challenges the idea of a higher authority that you simply have to obey. Then again, the ideas of love and justice are linked to Christianity (even though they are not always respected by the Churches).

I think the novels really offer a great synthesis of moral considerations derived from different traditions of thinking.

Posted by Zhiyal on April 19, 2010, 09:42 AM report to moderator
Green_sea_turtle_thumb

Oh! Are these people stupid, or simply didn’t they read the books at all? The whole point of the books is the value of family, love, and doing what is right (not what is easy)!

Posted by Butterfly Boy on April 19, 2010, 09:43 AM report to moderator

"You should write a book," Ron told Hermione as he cut up his potatoes, "translating mad things girls do so boys can understand them."