Radcliffe Talks "The Woman In Black"

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
July 29, 2010, 01:06 PM

The LA Times has a lengthy interview with actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) online this morning in which the young actor discuses his plans post-Potter, chiefly the forthcoming film adaptation of "The Woman in Black." The first in a line of projects Radclifffe reveals he is "quite pleased" to begin, "The Woman in Black" will allow the actor to troubled father, a role, the Times relates, 'step up and away from the “Potter” image that has dominated his public persona.'  On this challenge, Radcliffe notes:

“It worries me, but the challenge is to look like a dad and a young father. If I get that right, that is something that immediately separates me from Harry,” Radcliffe said. “The script is so good and the characters are so clear, there is actually reduced pressure on me to be constantly ‘different,’ if you know what I mean; in other words, once people are into the story, they’ll be watching this really compelling movie and will stop — I hope — thinking about me.”
Regarding the adaptation itself, he goes on to say:
"When I met first met James Watkins, our director, he told me about a quote of Stanley Kubrick’s, which was that all films about the afterlife or ghosts are innately consoling.  I think there’s something about that that is very true to our story. While it is a horror story and it is very frightening, it’s also about loss and grief. I read it on a plane, and I don’t know what the people around me must have thought. I kept jumping and gasping..."
The article goes on to note that production for the film is slated to begin in the fall, and, as the actor relates, test an audiences' impression of his abilities: "People really have only ever seen my face with glasses on it ... that’s going to change in this movie."

The full piece can be read via this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

Tumblr_l7kpzso0nm1qczcnxo1_400_thumb

Why should he be displeased when people see him as the actor who plays Harry?
It’s an honour, isn’t it? :)

Posted by Pigwidgeon on July 29, 2010, 01:44 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix-bellatrix-lestrange-2012161-100-100_thumb

yeah, it is!
I would be very proud if I could play in Harry Potter movies.. .

Posted by Unforgiven on July 29, 2010, 01:59 PM report to moderator
Leia_thumb

Cool! I sent along this link—and it’s a great article. Dan is very gracious and a terrific actor. Good luck to all his future endeavors!

Posted by Hagiographer13 on July 29, 2010, 02:01 PM report to moderator
Street_fighter___evil_ryu_by_furan_san_thumb

We are about to see if he has the acting skills to go beyond the Harry Potter franchise. I only hope audiences will judge his acting from a neutral point of view and not based on the Harry Potter movies. I wish him good luck.

Posted by hadou on July 29, 2010, 02:37 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Imagine being on a plane with Daniel Radcliffe!! I am very excited for that movie to come out, it sounds good!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on July 29, 2010, 03:05 PM report to moderator

Well, I watched Dan in the BBC’s production in the role of Rudyard Kipling’s son, and never once did I think of “Harry”, and I’ve seen the HP movies enough times to have the lines memorized! He’ll be great.

Posted by Maestra2 on July 29, 2010, 03:29 PM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

I would have been so excited to sit next to Dan while he read the script, watching him gasping&jumping. It’s great to see that he is into what he’s reading so much that he shows it :-)

Posted by devilskinn on July 29, 2010, 03:30 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Dan should go for it. This role will show how talented he is as an actor. I can’t wait to check out the movie, when it comes out!

Keeper_thumb

Sounds like a really good movie. Can’t wait to see it.

Posted by AvanelleWood on July 29, 2010, 05:51 PM report to moderator

We already know Daniel has the ability to play characters other than Harry Potter. Wasn’t it Daniel in Equus? That certainly was someone other than Harry. Don’t worry about Dan…he’ll be around a long, long time.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on July 29, 2010, 07:38 PM report to moderator
Jksgdhlkjhdsfg_thumb

Good luck to him!
And I guess I can kinda see why he wasnt so happy to be labeled as ‘the Harry guy’ when you’re a whole lot more than that.

Posted by RavenclawZombie on July 29, 2010, 10:56 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

good luck to Dan, he really is an excellent actor.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on July 30, 2010, 12:23 AM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

ride the train dan you are a good man

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on July 30, 2010, 12:43 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

All the best Dan. We know you’ve got it.

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on July 30, 2010, 03:43 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

All the best Dan. We know you’ve got it.

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on July 30, 2010, 04:09 AM report to moderator

A breeze ruffled the neat hedges of Privet Drive, which lay silent and tidy under the inky sky, the very last place you would expect astonishing things to happen.