Emma Watson Talks "Perks of Being a Wallflower"

Watson
Posted by: Mel
October 10, 2011, 10:29 PM

In a new article, Emma Watson discusses the challenges that went into acting in "Perks of Being a Wallflower," particularly nailing the Americanisms in the film:

"I was very nervous before we started shooting. I was very nervous about the American accent," she told a handful of reporters outside Peters Township High School. It doubles as Mill Grove High School in the story set largely in 1991-92.
Some of her cast mates, after all, had life experiences much like their movie characters -- dances, football games, pep rallies and even graduation in white gowns (for the girls) and black gowns (for the boys) and matching mortarboards.
"They went to an American high school, they know what prom looks like, all these little details that I had no idea about. So I was a little neurotic.
"My script was covered in notes about all these American words, American slang. I was quizzing my friends about high school and prom and everything, and then Steve [Chbosky] was just like, 'Emma, this is great and everything, but you just really need to let all of that go' because he said he saw me as Sam, and it was kind of as simple as that."

In the article Stephen Chbosky, the writer and director of the movie, talks about why he felt Watson was so perfect for the role of Sam:

"She's luminous but she's also incredibly approachable, she's very down to earth, she's very fragile but in this very beautiful way. For me, that's all the qualities I always saw in Sam. Plus, she can dance. The girl can dance."

The article also discusses Watson's relationship with her co-stars, as well as a stunt she opted to do in the movie. You can read more here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson News

Looking forward to see Emma outside of Harry Potter, although I would extremely miss her in them! D: And I’m excited to hear her American accent!

Posted by . on October 10, 2011, 11:58 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Well, I’m an American and I’m baffled by the growing use of references to “prom” without a “the” or “a” in front of it. Is this a regional thing? I grew up in New York, and if my high school had had a senior prom (which it didn’t because we were too busy protesting the Vietnam War at the time: 1971), we never would have said that we were “going to prom.” It sounds very weird to my ears. When did this truncated usage start happening?

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on October 11, 2011, 12:17 AM report to moderator

going to the prom. going to prom. hmm. I must say I have never heard “the prom”.

Posted by pottermate on October 11, 2011, 02:03 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I never before thought that Emma would have an American accent in the movie, probably should have though. Cant wait to hear her! And see her doing all the ‘normal’ teenage stuff.

Hmm, I dont think anyone says ‘the prom’ anymore because people dont just have one these days. Freshmans go to prom which is something somewhat new I believe. I think its just one of those things thats changed over the years as the idea of prom in general has changed. I was home schooled so I never did the whole prom thing, but my niece is a senior in high school so I hear a lot about dances and proms from her.

Posted by LunaLuver on October 11, 2011, 03:25 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Hope the movie goes well :)

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on October 11, 2011, 05:50 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

Emma sounds just like Hermione, being anxious to have every last crumb of knowledge before applying herself to the task in hand, lol.

Posted by Graymayne on October 11, 2011, 06:03 AM report to moderator

Im reading the book now and cant wait to see emma as sam.

Posted by megalen on October 11, 2011, 06:15 AM report to moderator
Vdpqtmg_thumb

I like what he saw in Emma. and I love how he mentioned that she can dance. It’s like she can do basically anything.

Posted by Acciobrooms on October 11, 2011, 11:07 AM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2011-05-21_at_12

I can’t wait to see Emma dance!!! Also, I excited to see the stunt with the pickup truck!!! :p

Posted by emmawatsonfan13 on October 11, 2011, 12:57 PM report to moderator

Aaaah, prom night… I remember it vividly… It was lovely while it lasted… Looked like a scene from Carrie about 1 hour in! looooool o.0

Posted by Won_Two on October 11, 2011, 01:19 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

LOVED THE BOOK! I had not been a big fan of coming-of-age books, but Charlie was so real to me. Emma’s character Sam is also very special. I think her first choice after HP was a really smart one and I’m excited to see her performance.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on October 11, 2011, 01:52 PM report to moderator
Da_thumb

Hahahhh Her American accent. xD

Posted by harrypotter4258 on October 11, 2011, 05:23 PM report to moderator

It’s been my experience as a movie-goer that many British actors manage to do very convincing American accents (although to be honest, the American “accent” ranges quite a bit, from the more East Coast, Bostonian accent to different types of Southern accents – for instance, people from Georgia and people from Texas do not sound the same, although they’re both southern states, to the Midwestern accent, which is prevalent where I’m from, and so on).

Posted by critterfur on October 12, 2011, 09:32 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

I’m really looking forward to this! Emma with an american accent! I wonder why British actorsfind it easier to immitate an amercian accent and american actors can’t seem to pull of very good british accents (I find that this is the case in most movies or television series that I have seen)

Posted by Jacket on October 12, 2011, 10:15 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

Aw she’s so sweet!

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" he yelled.[br]And out of the end of his wand burst, not a shapeless cloud of mist, but a blinding, dazzling, silver animal... It was galloping silently away from him, across the black surface of the lake. He saw it lower its head and c