Pottermore Insider Answers Questions About Beta Testing and Welcome E-Mails

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

A new blog post has gone up on the Pottermore Insider following the latest batch of welcome e-mails which were sent out today.

Several frequently asked questions about the beta process are covered in this latest update as well as the timeline for receiving welcome e-mails. The Insider also denies the rumor that welcome letters will be sent out sooner to those who have been friended by other Pottermore users.

Beta phases are fluid and it’s important to watch and see how a site reacts to increasing amounts of users and activity.

Every time more people are added to Pottermore, we take a pause and look at how the site is responding to see if everything is working as we expect it to and whether we need to make changes before we let more people into Pottermore.

We are planning on giving more people early access over the next week or so and then we will pause sending Welcome emails for a while so that we can see how things are going.

Unfortunately, we can’t create a schedule to share, as we need to respond to what we learn with each group of new users. That’s also why there are gaps between the batches of Welcome emails; it all depends on what we’re learning from those who are currently on the site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Hermione_poster_thumb

You don’t have to be afraid to send me my e-mail

Posted by silverkacy on August 25, 2011, 04:52 PM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

@S Palms, I’m completely with you on all the additional questions you have which haven’t been aswered.
Besides, I keep thinking why did they say 1Mill people was going to enter if they only want to test the site with a SMALL NUMBER… I’m not blaming them… this is a great effort they’re making but they should have thought things through, though… (this came out like a tongue twister).
If a SMALL NUMBER was what they required, then they should’ve given the Quill just to a small number of people. Perhaps that way we wouldn’t be soooo impatient to get in.

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 25, 2011, 05:05 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@Halfblood Princess Maybe they are testing not only the programms and servers, but also users patience?

Posted by cb160 on August 25, 2011, 05:10 PM report to moderator
Neville_god_pic_thumb

Sounds cool!

Posted by Tanderule on August 25, 2011, 05:12 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I think once the site has got over it’s faults when it comes to letting people onto the site it will probably let more people in but as of now it’s only a small amount.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on August 25, 2011, 05:16 PM report to moderator

This is just an assumption, but having gone through beta testing for several web-based stuff before: I’m assuming that they’ve let only a small number in at first to sniff out any bugs or flaws in the gaming — thus only having to get feedback comments from a small group of ppl instead of being pelted with 6975 owls saying my potions assignment is broken. Once that phase is over, next up is putting the servers through their paces… meaning admitting greater and greater numbers to see how they will handle the strain of full launch.

Hopefully this is the case because, if it is, then the fact that we’re only at 50k in out of 1 million isn’t that big of a surprise or problem.

Posted by Rosalinda Rosmerta on August 25, 2011, 05:18 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

S Palms: I think they can reasonably answer questions 1, 2 and 4, though some may be subject to change or approximate. They won’t know the answer to question 3, as the time taken to get everyone on will depend on how the testing goes. They might have some idea about 5, but that depends very much on the email systems receiving the email, and I imagine it varies too much to give a satisfactory answer. It will probably also change as they increase the batch size.

Posted by roonwit on August 25, 2011, 05:32 PM report to moderator
38093_1525112213973_1419668696_2107419_4307673_n_thumb

I am actually VERY happy that Pottermore answered a lot of our questions to the best of their ability! It puts me more at ease and kind of makes me feel guilty that I was very upset at them once! I know that they are doing the hardest that they can and they are doing the best they can. They aren’t doing this on purpose. They wanted to give the Beta to alot of people to make many people happy, and this has lead to some problems due to timing. I am now more than happy to wait while the Pottermore crew does its thing :) They are extremely nice to answer specific questions, and I feel very grateful to them. Also, if all your questions aren’t being answered, check out pottermorepolls.webs.com. the polls aren’t getting as many people partcipating as before! Revive the website?

Posted by Sohumdore on August 25, 2011, 05:45 PM report to moderator
Shaw__4__thumb

And yay, did Pottermore finally speak unto the fans!

About bloody time too! If they have any sense, they’ll keep us informed with more regular contact.

Posted by HogwartsForever on August 25, 2011, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Caffeine_thumb

@Rosalinda Rosmerta:

“I’m assuming that they’ve let only a small number in at first to sniff out any bugs or flaws in the gaming — thus only having to get feedback comments from a small group of ppl instead of being pelted with 6975 owls saying my potions assignment is broken.”

This makes sense.

Posted by Ani Sharmin on August 25, 2011, 05:55 PM report to moderator
Assassin_of_the_tsar_thumb

I’m lucky I just got in today! Now I don’t need too worry! I got up really early for the first clue on magic quill and got it right straight away, so I’m happy I got early access! Yay!!!

Posted by Milla Aiko Indie on August 25, 2011, 06:21 PM report to moderator
Assassin_of_the_tsar_thumb

Posted by Milla Aiko Indie on August 25, 2011, 06:22 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

S Palms: We can also give some rough answers to some of your questions. The number of people sorted has gone up by roughly 10,000 in the past 12 hours and still going up fast, so I would say that the latest batch was at least 20,000 accounts, maybe more.
Also amongst the user information the site gives if you rest your mouse over a username is the date that account was registered. This is almost always the first day of the magical quill period, so they probably are taking a first come first serve policy for most of the accounts they join, though there are also a few accounts from later days, so some accounts have probably been joined under a different strategy.

Posted by roonwit on August 25, 2011, 06:25 PM report to moderator
Stmungosspew_thumb

i hope i get in soon!

Posted by ahaque521 on August 25, 2011, 07:01 PM report to moderator
LinaHP : me too.
Posted by camila_black08 on August 25, 2011, 07:05 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"The Ministry of Magic guarantees that you are not in danger from any Dark wizard. If you are still worried, by all means come and see me outside class hours. If someone is alarming you with fibs about reborn Dark wizards, I would like to hear about it. I