Richard Griffiths Dies at 65

Griffiths
Posted by: Melissa
March 29, 2013, 09:41 AM

Richard Griffiths, well known on screen and stage but perhaps best known to many of us as Harry Potter's Uncle Vernon Dursley, has died at age 65 from complications after heart surgery. According to The Guardian, tributes have already begun pouring in from his co-stars, including Daniel Radcliffe:

"In August 2000, before official production had even begun on Potter, we filmed a shot outside the Dursleys', which was my first ever shot as Harry. I was nervous and he made me feel at ease," he said. "Seven years later, we embarked on Equus together. It was my first time doing a play but, terrified as I was, his encouragement, tutelage and humour made it a joy. In fact, any room he walked into was made twice as funny and twice as clever just by his presence. I am proud to say I knew him." (x)

Richard was born in Thornaby-on-Tees, North Yorkshire, in 1947.  After studying with the Royal Shakespeare Company, he began appearing regularly on stage, television, and in movies, eventually becoming one of Great Britain's most recognizable and beloved character actors. Among other nominations, he received a Laurence Olivier award, Drama Desk award, and Tony award for his work in The History Boys and was nominated for a BAFTA Film Award for reprising his role in the film version. In 2008 he was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire. He is survived by his wife, Heather Gibson.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Griffiths News

Images_thumb

RIP Richard Harris :( :(

Posted by vandy[FTC] on March 29, 2013, 09:45 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I think you mean Richard Griffiths don’t you vandy?

His presence in films and plays will be much missed, he sounds like he was a great person to know.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 29, 2013, 09:58 AM report to moderator

A very sad day… He was the perfect Uncle Vernon….

Posted by Won_Two on March 29, 2013, 10:03 AM report to moderator
Assassin_of_the_tsar_thumb

So sad news, and I was unfortunatley afraid this would happen too soon. a great actor and a great man that will be greatly missed. R.I.P. <3

Posted by Milla Aiko Indie on March 29, 2013, 10:23 AM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

God Bless you Richard Griffiths!!!!

My condolences to your family.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on March 29, 2013, 10:25 AM report to moderator
4958b7b3545c4b5292f6eb1dceb38772_7_thumb

Awww RIP Richard Griffiths

Posted by Shawnae Inglewood on March 29, 2013, 11:12 AM report to moderator
Th_ravenclawawesome_thumb

Great actor…sad day.

Posted by La La Toadstone =:) on March 29, 2013, 11:13 AM report to moderator
Rainbow-page2_thumb

A great actor. RIP, Richard Griffiths.

Posted by Josephine on March 29, 2013, 11:37 AM report to moderator
Dhsmall_thumb

R.I.P. very sad indeed…

Posted by akcorr on March 29, 2013, 12:50 PM report to moderator
Ravenclawscarf_thumb

Richard will be sadly missed as he always added his “own touch” to every part he played ! I can only send my best wishes to those who are “left behind” for he shall forever be remembered by those of us who saw the perfect “Uncle Vernon” Blessings to all !

Posted by Flittwick on March 29, 2013, 12:55 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_l3ywe7dg6w1qakme2o1_500_large_thumb

:( Embrace Eternity :) Hope to see you again

Posted by violetstory on March 29, 2013, 12:58 PM report to moderator
Timeturner2_thumb

R.I.P. what a shame. :-(

Posted by mariakingsford on March 29, 2013, 03:21 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

Too young, far too young… Rest in peace, my good man. :(

Posted by Mad But Happy on March 29, 2013, 03:37 PM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

Very young :(

Posted by devilskinn on March 29, 2013, 05:06 PM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

R.I.P., Mr. Griffiths. Your portrayal of Uncle Vernon will live on forever.

Posted by AvanelleWood on March 29, 2013, 05:20 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Harry," said George weakly, weighing the money bag in his hands, "there's got to be a thousand Galleons in here."[br]"Yeah," said Harry, grinning. "Think how many Canary Creams that is."[br]The twins stared at him.[br]"Just don't tell your mum where you